Monday, July 18, 2011

mooBlog 18-7-2011: Coughing it all up...

I've decided to quit smoking again. I have no assumptions that it'll last, but I certainly do hope so. Even over the last few days I've been feeling a lot better (despite the frequent withdrawals.)

So I've decided to do a blog, a bit of self-inspiration. I want to list myself, the reasons why staying off the smokes is a good thing.

Here we go.

  1. I save money. This is a pretty big thing. Since I quit my job about two months ago, I've been struggling financially, so stopping smoking will help me to at least make my budget stretch further. I may even be able to improve on my diet of mi goreng and dim sims.
  2. I won't stink. Funny how when I'm smoking I love the smell of a cigarette. Today, walking around, every time I encounter the odour of smoke, I'm repulsed. I can't imagine how I smell when I'm off being a full-on chimney.
  3. I save time. Funny, it's not something that I've thought about a lot, but in hindsight, it's pretty true that smoking actually takes up time. For me, sometimes that's the attraction; when I'm bored, wating, etc, it is very easy to just light up. Today though, I was working at uni. Instead of having to take a break every 60 to 90 minutes, sometimes for up to 10 minutes, I'm able to get a hell of a lot more done in the same amount of time.
  4. Fitness. The day after I stopped, I realised that it was the first day that I hadn't woken up coughing in a long time. Although I've got a long way to go, my renewed (albeit a little minimal) energy levels have allowed me to start doing things I really couldn't be fucked doing before. For instance, I've been for a skate for the last two days. About eight or so months ago, I bought a skateboard, and after using it only once, I haven't even touched it since. That is, until the other day, when I was bored, full of energy, and wanted to finally get around to getting a skill that I've longed for for over a decade now. (Funny how when I get to the age where most people would stop trying to do new things, I take them up.)
  5. I may even lengthen my life. This will be a good thing. I'll get to spend more time with my friends. I'll get to have more years to fight the system of capitalism. I'll have more time to travel, write, draw, explore, read, design and simply live my life.
I'm excited. Writing this made me all tingly inside. I feel so much better about life now, I can't wait for tomorrow!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

on point 5:health.
Skateboarding is rad and its an awesome thing you have taken it up. i don't skate to do tricks but i use it as a fun way of getting round. Hope you enjoy it!
-Lauren

moo said...

Ha ha, yeah, it is fun, although i'm just goin' pretty slow at the moment. Tim said I will have to wait until my first major stack before I know if I want to keep skating. Have you had one yet?

Anonymous said...

yeah i have. I ate shit on a rock my wheel hit and scraped my hands and elbows infront of a huge crowd. casually had to get up and walk away with bloody and grazes over all my joints.
its too much fun and too enjoyable to give up over a little loss of blood.

moo said...

Sounds like a legit stack. :) I had one this arvo, though not as bad as the one you described, and not in front of anyone (that is, except the dog in the car I stacked into, eep!)