Saturday, November 20, 2010

mooBlog 20-11-2010: Absence, Exams & Internal Apologies



I had an exam today. I guess I haven't really been prepared for an exam since my final year of high school. When I walk out of every single exam that I do throughout my course, I always think to myself "That really doesn't say anything about my ability as an engineer!"


I believe that there will be so few instances throughout my career when I'll have to rely on the knowledge between my ears, no conversing with colleagues and peers, no books, no internet. So really, exams are a redundant means to assess someone's ability to be able to function in the workforce. Actually, I do see the point of them; there has to be a way to separate the A's from the B's and so forth. Or does there? This point got raised by a comrade of mine a few days ago. The current system of higher education is failing to do what it is supposed to; prepare its students for industry. That is all. All that grades do is place pressure on students to do well in their subjects, and not take on anything else. I'm ashamed to say that I was one of these people. If all that students got was a pass or a fail on a subject, then employers then have to actually look at the most suitable candidates for a job by means other than subject marks. They have to look at experience, interests, other skills and personality. However, for most companies, the recruitment process is structured so thin that for any one professional graduate position, there are usually scores of people without the grades to even get an interview. My younger brother (who will graduate from uni at the end of this year, one year before me mind you,) showed me the hourly wage for some graduate positions in his field of study. Let me say, I could probably earn more as a checkout operator at a supermarket (in fact, I can say that I definitely would, and the work would be a lot easier.)


My point is this. Today's universities are not education institutions, where young people can learn a profession, discuss openly and liberally about the world around them. They are certificate factories. They are companies, made for profit, running under the guise of a NFP government regulated organisation. My university makes a profit of over $40million per year, and this fact has not caused me ease. Students pay high fees (some would say excessive, especially for international students) for their courses. Every semester the university like to boast about all of the infrastructure that they are introducing, failing to simultaneously state what resources they are taking away. Every time one wanders into my uni's library, a lab room, computer room, canteen, etc, it is clearly evident that the profits (which technically shouldn't even exist) are not being reinvested.


Anyway, back to my main point; exams. My idea for exams is this: Present some information, new concept, methodology etc. in the exam. Ask students to learn from this, and apply it to a new situation. Surely this is the only examinable method that actually relates to how students will work when they get out into the workforce. It is the only solution that I can think of, and it surely beats cramming for a week. An exam under the current system is nothing more than a competition to see who can remember the most things and repeat it onto paper. In many instances (like my exam today) I could easily say that I didn't understand about half of what I was actually learning. So in writing it down correct, doesn't make it right. Right is what comes from your intelligence, wisdom and application of knowledge, not from your memory.


Anyway, good night folks!


x




The Big Lebowski: What makes a man, Mr. Lebowski? 
The Dude: Dude. 
The Big Lebowski: Huh? 
The Dude: Uhh... I don't know sir. 
The Big Lebowski: Is it being prepared to do the right thing, whatever the cost? Isn't that what makes a man? 
The Dude: Hmmm... Sure, that and a pair of testicles. 

No comments: